Cosas to search students for weapons

2012-11-22 16:07
The Congress of SA Students (Cosas) has said it would begin its own searches of students following a school shooting between pupils earlier this week.

“We have resolved to take matters into our own hands; as students we will protect each other from each other and from criminals,” said the Gauteng Cosas in a statement today.

Cosas sub-branches were told to “stand guard and search learners every morning at the gate”.

Their statement follows a shooting by an 18-year-old Grade 11 pupil that left dead a fellow student at Phineas Xulu Secondary School, in Vosloorus, Boksburg, on Tuesday.

The firearm belonged to his mother, a metro police officer.

The 18-year-old was allegedly bullied by his victim, a Grade 10 pupil, and two other boys. They had stolen his cap and cellphone the previous day.

Cosas said it was “deeply horrified” over the shooting and took the provincial government to task for not providing a safe learning environment.

They also claimed the local Community Policing Forum had been denied access to Phineas Xulu because staff said they were disrupting teaching.