Province pays for negligence

2011-08-17 09:05
Sizwe sama Yende
Mpumalanga’s department of health and social services is facing lawsuits amounting to R160 million for medical negligence and unpaid services.

This figure came to light following questions asked in the legislature to departmental MEC Clifford Mkasi yesterday afternoon.

It appears that the department was being sued for R82.5 million and R78.2 million in the 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 financial years respectively.

With regards to medical negligence litigation, Mkasi said that a turnaround strategy would be implemented to curb medical negligence.

“Most of these lawsuits are due to human error. The litigation turnaround strategy will be implemented by March 31, 2012,” said Mkasi.

Mkasi revealed that the department had paid R21 million last year and this year to two patients who sued the it.Mkasi said:

» In January last year, the department paid R13 million to one Miss TW Magolo for medical negligence at Mmametlake Hospital. Her newborn baby was not “treated to a required standard”.

» In January this year, the department paid R8 million to a woman who suffered brain damage at Piet Retief Hospital in 2002 after a Caesarean operation went wrong.

Mkasi said in both cases no employee had been charged yet.