News

Police stop UJ students’ peaceful march for student killed last week

2016-11-10 17:21

Students at the University of Johannesburg are frustrated at the lack of action taken after the death of a fellow student, Kelvin Baloyi, who was allegedly shot by a private security guard last week.

Today they began a peaceful march to hand over a memorandum to the university, asking it to remove private security from their residences.

Baloyi, who was involved in an altercation with security guards at The Yard, a private off-campus student residence in Rissik Street, was shot at close range in the head.

The students were stopped on Kingsway Avenue, after beginning their march from The Yard, as they made their way to the Auckland Park Campus, after attaining a legal permit ensuring they could march, but could not go within 100 metres of the campus. “It doesn’t make sense that they are stopping us since what we are doing is legal. We are not here to fight, we just want justice. How do they expect us to stop 100 metres away from the campus though? Will someone come and receive the memorandum from us?” said one student who chose to remain anonymous.

A police contingency of about 13 vehicles, including two Nyalas, blocked the way of the marching students. After about two hours, the frustrated students decided to leave.



The students said they would not give up and would ensure that the memorandum reached the hands of the vice-chancellor. By 3pm the crowd had dispersed.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
3 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

August 18 2019