The SA Football Association technical committee will convene on Saturday in the aftermath of Stuart Baxter quitting Bafana Bafana.
Safa technical director Neil Tovey told City Press on Friday that the committee, chaired by Jack Maluleke, will meet to discuss the now vacant Bafana coaching post after Baxter confirmed his resignation at a conference arranged by his agent Steve Kapeluschnik – outside Safa’s boundaries.
“We’ve got a committee meeting tomorrow and I can’t say at this stage what kind of a coach we are looking at. We’ll discuss that and other technical matters at the meeting,” said Tovey, without elaborating.
Baxter quit his post amid calls that he must leave with his rigid tactical approach that made it difficult to identify Bafana’s style of play.
He said he spent a considerable time after Afcon reflecting on the way forward after the performance at the just-concluded continental championships in Egypt.
While addressing a well-attended conference in Killarney, Johannesburg, on Friday, Baxter also claimed to being the victim of persecution by the media.
“I do think that someone else should now continue this project and therefore I will be resigning from my position,” he noted from a prepared statement.
“I’ve chosen not to point fingers and I will refrain from that. Choosing not to answer some hugely inaccurate, misinformed and misleading media coverage has also been difficult.”
Somehow, the Scotsman left on a high, having guided the team to the quarterfinals of Afcon, including eliminating hosts Egypt in the last-16.
Baxter said on Friday that he had already submitted his report to Safa.
As a parting shot he said there would be no monetary settlement that would follow his resignation despite serving just two of the three years in his contract.
“This had nothing to do with money. The figures quoted about my salary have been embarrassing and way off the mark,” he retorted.
He was scoffing at speculations that his payout could be about R17 million.
“My settlement is a massive zero,” maintained Baxter.