YOU Home Cooking
by Esther Malan
Human & Rousseau
Recommended selling price: R290
Home Cooking is a mouthwatering selection of Esther Malan’s best recipes from her popular Take Five food column in YOU and Drum magazines. The recipes range from delicious ideas for breakfast, quiches and pies, to braais, chicken, street food, and quick and healthy salads, as well as puddings and baked goodies.
Everything is tested in the YOU kitchen, which ensures the recipes are foolproof and will work again and again.
OLD-FASHIONED MARMITE TART WITH SLICED BILTONG
Marmite tart is a favourite in many homes. We give it a topping of biltong slices – a perfect savoury snack for your next party.
Preparation time: 15 to 20 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
100g butter, at room temperature
250ml cake flour
10ml baking powder
125ml grated cheddar cheese
30ml butter, at room temperature
10ml Marmite or Bovril
Extra grated cheddar cheese
150g moist biltong slices
15ml biltong powder
5ml coriander seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 23cm x 29cm ovenproof dish with non-stick spray.
- Using an electric beater, beat the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and creamy. Then use the beater to mix in the eggs one at a time.
- Pour in the milk and beat well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt over the mixture and beat until just mixed. Add the cheese and lightly mix in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake for 20 minutes or until just golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Mix the butter and Marmite or Bovril and spread over the tart as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Method (to finish)
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for another five minutes or until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle generously with biltong slices, biltong powder and coriander seeds.
- Set aside to cool. Slice and serve.